Quarterstaff Games
152 Church Street
Burlington VT 05401Click to see a map.
(opens in a new window)

802-863-3666

qstaffvt@gmail.com

No-Ship Math Trade at Carnage

Northeast Wars: Mischief in the Mountains, Carnage, Wizard World Philly and more!

No-Ship Math Trade at Carnage

Postby DrFaust » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:04 pm

This year, by attendee request and gracious permission of the Carnage committee, some guys are pleased to conduct the first no-ship math trade at Carnage.

What is a math trade?

A math trade is a bunch of people offering up for trade games they no longer want in exchange for games other people no longer want. What makes it math-y is that a computer program runs an algorithm in order to maximize the number of participants, so as many people as possible can swap games, depending on who wants what. While Alice may trade Carcassone to Bob, she could receive Axis & Allies from Carol, depending on what Alice asked for in return for her copy of Carcassone.

Why is it a "no-ship" trade?

No-ship means no one pays shipping charges. Everyone trading will be attending Carnage and physically hand off and receive their trades at the appointed time.

How do I participate in the math trade?

First, make a list of the games you want to offer for trade. This list should include the full, unabbreviated name of the game(s) and general condition of the contents: sealed in shrink, punched but unplayed, played once, well-loved, etc.

Second, email this list to tfdion+carnagemathtrade at gmail dot com, replacing "at" and "dot" with the appropriate symbols, before 11:59 PM on October 28th. (Private forum messages or anything that isn't sent to that specific address will not be included in the trade.)

By October 30th, a full list of everything being offered for trade will be published via GoogleDocs; announcements of such will be posted here and the NNEG email list. Participants then have until 11:59 PM on November 4th to send in their want list to the email address above. Instructions on how to properly compose a want list will be included at the top of the trade offerings document.

On November 6th, the trade results will be posted on GoogleDocs, and announced here and on NNEG. It is incumbent on the participants to check that list to see if any of their trades were accepted and make sure they bring to the convention what they offered. Someone neglecting to bring a game could unravel a whole web of trades.

On November 8th, everyone participating in the trade meets at 5:15 in the lounge of the Lake Morey Resort's lobby. No one walks away until all exchanges are settled.

What can I trade?

For the first year, at least, the trade is limited to board and card games, like Ticket to Ride, Bang! and others. The more attractive the item is in terms of its condition and having all its bits, the more likely someone will take you up on your offer.

You can create lots of items, offering to trade multiple items as one bundle. Just list them together in your offer list and note they constitute a single lot.

You can also offer multiple items individually. This gets a little trickier in terms of constructing your want lists -- what you'll accept in exchange for the particular game you offer -- but it can be done.

What are the important dates and times?

October 28th, 11:59 PM: Offer lists must be submitted via email before this time.

October 30th: The official list of items offered for trade is posted and announced.

November 4th, 11:59 PM: Want lists must be submitted via email before this time.

November 6th: Trade results are posted and announced.

November 8th, 5:15 PM: Exchanges take place in the lounge area of the Lake Morey Resort's lobby.

Any questions?
Held Action, a blog about tabletop gaming and Vermont.

Carnagecast, Vermont's tabletop gaming podcast.
DrFaust

Postby DrFaust » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:41 pm

Wondering if there's something on offer in the math trade that you just gotta have? Check out the preliminary, subject to change at any time preview here: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... vI-__53bYw

October 28th is the last day to get your list of offers in!

DrFaust

Postby DrFaust » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:28 pm

The math trade is no longer accepting offers.

Participants should visit http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... vI-__53bYw to see what's on offer. You then have until 11:59 PM EST on November 4th to get your want lists in to tfdion+carnagemathtrade at gmail dot com.

How do you make a want list? Check it out below!

What Is a Want List?

A want list tells the computer program two things: the game you are offering and what game(s) you would take in trade for it.

To Compose a Want List

First, begin a new line in your text editor or email client of choice. Type your name in parentheses. So my want list will begin like this:

(Tyler Dion)

Next, consult the trade list (at XXX) to find the IDs of the game(s) you're offering. In my case, I'm offering 083-DIO (Grand Tribunal) and 084-DIO (Marvel Heroes). Add the ID of the game you're offering, and then a colon. So my want list for Grand Tribunal will begin:

(Tyler Dion) 083-DIO:

Finally, add the IDs of the games you'd like to receive in exchange for that title. Say, for example, I would like to get Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon (069-BER) or Godsfire (090-CHE) for my Grand Tribunal. My want list would look like this:

(Tyler Dion) 083-DIO: 069-BER 090-CHE

I would then go on to do the same the other item I'm trading, Marvel Heroes.

Naturally, the more things you're willing to accept in exchange for your game, the better the odds are of the program finding a series of trades that includes you.

DrFaust

Return to Conventions