Quarterstaff Games
152 Church Street
Burlington VT 05401Click to see a map.
(opens in a new window)

802-863-3666

qstaffvt@gmail.com

A Convention D&D module

Northeast Wars: Mischief in the Mountains, Carnage, Wizard World Philly and more!

A Convention D&D module

Postby WhiskeyJ » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:44 pm

I know that at some of the bigger Cons they sometimes have special tournament modules that they run. Now here is my suggestion, would anyone like to see a special module made up just for play at Northeast Wars?

It would follow the standard format of one of the modules they usually release for similar game venues and photocopies would be made available to those who attend and play. Before hand a party level would be established, several pre-generated characters would be included, and maybe there would be a special award / certificate given to those who complete the adventure successfully.

Would anyone be interested in something like this? Is anything like this already available for smaller conventions? Are there any potential volunteer DMs?

Maybe the adventure could be called... "Quarterstaff Keep"?

-- And just so there's no confusion, I'm not part of Quarterstaff Games staff, nor do I have anything to do with the convention. I'm just a loyal customer and forum addict. --
WhiskeyJ

Postby Halfred » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:32 am

Sounds cool to me, though I haven't played in this type of mod before. Are you going to work something up?
Halfred

Postby WhiskeyJ » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:32 am

I've been thinking of an adventure that would fit the criteria for a convention module. One, possibly two sessions, with a straight forward goal and several surprises along the way.

If I can find a few interested DM's I can run it by them. Obviously I wouldn't want to spread the adventure to potential players before hand. Right now I'm looking at older convention modules to see where any problems might come up during development.

And it goes without saying I'll have to commission the talents of Ethan for the module artwork. He did the artwork for the fliers and offers his services for character portraits at the shop. Might as well use the module to showcase the local talent as much as possible. :D
WhiskeyJ

Postby hyulf » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:12 am

I like this idea and we have discussed it a bit. At this point in reviving the convention, we are trying to make sure that folks just arrive. We are hoping for 400+ people so if that comes true then I would be very interested in doing something like this. We might even explore connecting with Total Con's TCRealms (similar to RPGA but less restrictive). Lots of ideas on the plate. Keep them coming.

Jonathan
hyulf

Postby WhiskeyJ » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:53 pm

Will there be a need for another D&D game run? It looks like there are a few RPGA events and John Prushko will be running some old time modules from the Vault.

Anyways, I'm still writing up an adventure to send to the folks at QS. So far the idea is that the players will help keep [the forces of evil] from recovering a powerful [item of power], to stop [the big bad guy]. Simple.

-- Ten years ago, the Northeast Kingdom, battled the Grand Warlock but almost met defeat. Only the timely intervention of a great wizard, bearing the Staff of Hyulf, was able to force him from the battlefield and save the day. Since then the staff has been held in the possession of the Watchers in Darkness in the small fortress of Quarterstaff Keep.

Now the Grand Warlock's armies have reformed and are marching on Burling Town. Lord Kuthell leads his men against the amassed forces, while his advisor, the wizard Cryptorchilde, seeks a band of adventurers to enter the fortress and stop a raiding party from stealing the staff and sealing the Northeast Kingdom's fate forever! --

Hyulf, Cryptorchilde, and Kuthell, I would like to use your names in the adventure if this is alright. If not, please let me know.
WhiskeyJ

Postby hyulf » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:54 am

Whisky, you have my permission. I love the description of the event and yes, if you wish to run this at NEWars just fill out the event form and it is done. Great sense of humor! Thanks, Jonathan
hyulf

Postby Munchoboy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:41 pm

What?!? Not even a troll or something named Munchoboy?!

Pfft! Later for all you guys! :wink: :lol:

-J
"In fearful day, in raging night,
With strong hearts full, our souls ignite,
When all seems lost in the War of Light,
Look to the stars-- For hope burns bright!"
Munchoboy

Postby WhiskeyJ » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:42 pm

Muncho... who do you think the Grand Warlock is? After his legendary battle with Hyulf, his dark evil good looks were marred when the Staff of Hyulf turned his hair pink! :oops:

But if you want a troll added instead, I guess I can drop one named Mun'cho under the bridge between the Northeast Kingdom and New Yorik :P
WhiskeyJ

Postby WhiskeyJ » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:05 am

Okay, it's official... I put in for my vacation for the days of the convention. I've begun writing the adventure and developing the pre-generated characters. And soon I'll contact Ethan to commission some art work once I have a better idea of what scenes / monsters I need portrayed.

Sorry Clem, the adventure will not feature the Tarrasque, but you are most welcome to play in it anyways :)

As I haven't attended a con in years, can someone with experience please suggest when would be a good time to schedule running my game? I would also like to get in on some playing myself, so I don't want to run into/over other D&D games being run that myself or others may want to join in on. I'd really like to get into the classic vault module games that are going to be run.

And, of course, when I'm not running, or playing, I'd like to at least offer some of my time to helping out... maybe moving tables, chairs, info booth, or something useful? If we all pitch in a little it'll help take some of the load off the shoulders of the already overworked staffers.
WhiskeyJ

Postby Munchoboy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:31 am

WhiskeyJ wrote:As I haven't attended a con in years, can someone with experience please suggest when would be a good time to schedule running my game? I would also like to get in on some playing myself, so I don't want to run into/over other D&D games being run that myself or others may want to join in on. I'd really like to get into the classic vault module games that are going to be run.

Saturdays are typically when Cons enjoy the greatest attendance. I would recommend an afternoon slot as a) it will be easier on folk if they don't have to get up for an 8 am game, and b) there are 2 hours between the afternoon and evening slot in case you run over!

Just my 2 coppers.

-J
"In fearful day, in raging night,
With strong hearts full, our souls ignite,
When all seems lost in the War of Light,
Look to the stars-- For hope burns bright!"
Munchoboy

Postby kuthell » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:19 pm

You have my permission to use my name. I have not RPGed in near 20 years, (wow), but if the schedule allows, I would like to take a try at a one shot adventure. May be hard to pull off.
"In blackest day or brightest night
Watermelon, cantaloupe, yadda yadda
Erm...superstitious and cowardly lot
With liberty and justice for all!"
kuthell

Arrangements Made

Postby WhiskeyJ » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:40 pm

Great news! :D

I have the days for the convention off, the adventure is ready for playtesting and tweaking, and I've registered to run on friday and saturday in the 1-5pm slot.

The game will be for 4-6 players, of level 4. Pre-generated characters will be provided. Interested players will receive a copy of the adventure, but only AFTER the last session... obviously it would be bad to have a copy floating around before saturday's game, no? :P

I am also planning on running a private game for several of our alumni from the boards here. If we can get enough players and find a convenient time when everyone's not busy.

On sunday I'm volunteering in whatever way I can. Everyone will be able to recognize me at the convention easily because of my helmet. And if you're nice, I might take it off as long as there are no small children around that would be easily frightened. :twisted:
WhiskeyJ

Adventure Complete

Postby WhiskeyJ » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:05 am

I've been trying to get the module ready to print up so I can hand it out at the convention for those who play in it. But that won't be the case. While the adventure is complete, I have not gotten everything formatted and scanned in. I will, however, take the email addresses of those who want a completed copy and will send it to them after the convention.

I do have a mock up of the module, complete with front cover art from our own talented Mr. Slayton, as well as the key to the upper level of Quarterstaff Keep. I'll happily show the work I've done so far to those who are interested as well. Though not before actual play of the event. No spoilers... sorry guys :D

If this event is successful, I just might make it an ongoing event each year. Of course those who have been following the forums here know that it'll have to be run using the Pathfinder RPG rules next year. WooHOO!
WhiskeyJ

Postby WhiskeyJ » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:34 am

Quarterstaff Keep was a big hit! I was fortunate enough to have some fantastic players on hand for both events and a great time was had by all. "Incident at Hosoi" Game Masters Pam and Kalvin Jay played alongside our very own Zev (Clem the Squig) during the first session and they rocked the house as soon as they stepped foot in the keep's gates. Zev and Kalvin were like a steamroller, playing a fighter and barbarian two man frontline, they crushed the opposition. And the opposition wasn't light either. And I'll never forgive Pam for what she did to my beautiful stained glass window! :shock:

My second event was almost scrubbed, but a last minute sign up of two brothers, Ben and Jon, saved the day. And then Robert (he was the guy dressed as a troubador) asked to join in and helped round out the group along with my wife. They weren't as thunderous as my first group, but what they lacked in explosive power (you had to be there for the in-jokes) they made up for in a more subtle approach. Either way both groups really had a ball, and they both completed the adventure to a successful conclusion.

I'll definately run another Northeast Kingdom event next year. Jonathan, write that on the calendar! :D

I'm making some revisions to the module to include feedback from the convention before making it available to the players and to the Quarterstaff Games staff. Last minute delays and unfortunate circumstances didn't allow me to have the whole project available to hand out at the convention when I wanted to. :cry:

I'm sorry I didn't get to see many of you at the convention. Sunday my wife took ill and we headed back home early. The convention had so much stuff going on that we exhausted ourselves. Next year we'll pace ourselves a little better. We ain't spring chickens anymore. :lol:
WhiskeyJ

Return to Conventions