802-863-3666

qstaffvt@gmail.com

3.5 Game Looking for players

Discuss all RPG's here!

Moderator: Watchers in the Dark

3.5 Game Looking for players

Postby changingvamp » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:58 pm

JOHNSON VT

I'm starting a campaign! It isn't my first, but that by no means implies that I'm good at GMing. Here is some important starting information for those who might be interested in gaming:

This is a D&D 3.5 based game. I'm looking to start at level 10.

Currently my group is two: myself as GM, and my fiance.

Gaming will ideally be Friday and/or Saturday as best fits other players' schedules.

Gaming will start when I have at least four committed PC's, but I'll gladly accept up to eight PC's.

In the DMG under "what is a DM?" it states "you have ultimate authority over the game mechanics, even superseding something in a rulebook." (pg. 6) As Players in a game GMed by me you must know that there are a lot of rules I don't know exist; there are also lots of little rules that don't quite make sense to me, so I change them (If I'm made aware that rules already exist I'll look at them, and take any arguments as to how and why it makes sense as is into consideration before using my own rules)

Though I'm not claiming to be a good GM I try to be a well prepared GM. This means that I don't want to travel. Games will be held at Johnson State College because for 1-2 hours before gaming starts I'll be going through making sure that we have every thing that I could possibly need ready and on hand.

Also, I want to have fun, I really don't want people who will constantly be complaining that I'm unexperienced, especially since you've all been forewarned.

Please get in touch with me ASAP if you're interested, I'd like to start gaming really soon.
keep the heat in your soul
changingvamp

Re: 3.5 Game Looking for players

Postby echoota » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:07 am

Unfortunately my wife and I are too far away to join you in your games.

One thing that we found helpful when we were absorbing the 3.5 ruleset was that we played with a position that we would follow RAW (Rules as Written). By having everyone agree that the book trumps everything, even the DM, it helped us to organically learn how all of the rule elements fit together. Basically we'd play the game, but when a rules issue came up and either a DM or player looked it up, we then switched gears and adjusted things to how they fit within the book. If it was a minor rule that just needed clarifying then we'd switch to that rule on the spot. If the rule had a huge game effect for that session then the DM would either hold off on switching the rule until the next game session, or make that the last instance of using the old rule.

Also, we let players redesign their characters as we played. Rather than being trapped in character builds that, once you've learned the rules more, you realize don't do what you want them to do, just fix it for the next session and just let the DM know what you are changing.

So by having a conservative stance to RAW, but liberal character rebuilds, it actually made learning the rules for the DM and players proceed along rather quickly and painlessly.

Once the rules are mastered, then we chucked RAW ;)

Hope you're game is going well, enjoy!
echoota

Re: 3.5 Game Looking for players

Postby Blackwell » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:13 am

Cheers, I'm in Burlington and looking to play. Unfortunately Johnson is about an hour and 6 and My life is rather hectic. I can try to plan around it, Just let me know what day it happens one and how frequently. I am a long experienced DM and can lend my experience.
Blackwell

Return to Role Playing Games