(opens in a new window)

802-863-3666

qstaffvt@gmail.com

Looking to start a new 4th edition or 3.5 edition DnD game

Discuss all RPG's here!

Moderator: Watchers in the Dark

Looking to start a new 4th edition or 3.5 edition DnD game

Postby Shegger » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:29 pm

Hey Ive been playing DnD for a few years now and I now have no one to play with. Ive been DM for a quite some time and im looking to be a player instead cuz I enjoy that alot more. So if anyone in the burlingotn area wants to start a new DnD game that would be awsome.
Shegger

Re: Looking to start a new 4th edition or 3.5 edition DnD ga

Postby greenskins4ever » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:55 pm

Oi!

I've got a custom-built campaign, or, well, at least the first 60-100 hours of content of said campaign, written up and ready to go for D&D 3.5. It's a world I'm still cobbling together that basically brings about a classic rebels vs. empire scenario with plenty of elements both lifted and not lifted from other materials. The plot takes itself seriously, but the walk through the plot is anything but serious at points. I'm a fan of bad jokes, as is evident by such creations as Veggieman(tm), a pseudomilitary guild of gnome artificers, and my predilection for using annoying butler voices. Characterization is encouraged, but not something I'll whine about if there isn't much of it. The campaign starts at level 1 and features level-scaling custom magic items given in the second chapter of the storyline - typically the second session. (I need time to watch and produce something you'll like.)

Shoot me an e-mail at bradley.crouch@yahoo.com if you'd like a plot rundown, sample material in the form of a sidequest I've abandoned, or anything of the sort.

-Brad
greenskins4ever

Postby Shegger » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:39 pm

That sounds great. I really like the Idea of custom level scaling magic items. Very cool. And as for the bad jokes, I'm a fan too. I don't think I've played a single session without them. So i guess if this group works out we got a DM. Now we just need some more players.
Shegger

Postby ElderGodCthulhu » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:39 pm

I could be interested depending on when the game is to take place, also may have a friend interested.
Please feel free to contact me at Elder_God_Cthulhu@Yahoo.com
ElderGodCthulhu

Postby greenskins4ever » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:02 am

Time and place is something that's totally up in the air. I live quite a ways off the beaten path over here in Fort Ethan Allen, so my place of residence just isn't a good place to use. If you know of any good community rooms or other such venues in Burlington proper that can be used, please let me know.

The campaign I have in mind sets up the PCs as members of a mercenary force known as the Obsidian Hall. Although technically a private military group that has been run by the same guy for over 700 years, the Hall really has only one steady client - the government of the Zarian Empire. In essence, this has caused the Obsidian Hall to change from elite mercenaries to elite secret police, complete with annoying government bureaucracy. The plot follows the unfolding events of what is called the Peripherary Rebellion. To understand that, the event that lead up to the actors of this rebellion being in place must eb related.

A little over half a century ago, a mass of rebels, political enemies, and naysayers were cast out of the Empire rather than killed, mainly for political reasons. To make certain it was pretty much a death sentence, the emperor had them thrown into a swamp at the edge of the Empire's territory. Little did he know that the local lizardfolk were actually friendly toward the enemy of the people who indiscriminately killed them whenever they showed up. Anyway, with help from the locals, a small civilization was constructed. In addition, thanks to the nature of those who were kicked out (ie. a massive number of gnomes), the small capital city of this new nation of Caschia quickly developed tech that the Empire didn't, mainly thanks to lack of regulation.

Three years ago, the Empire discovered Caschia and immediately thought of it as a source of revenue. Caschia, of course, didn't like this idea and mustered a force of whatever they had at hand to repel the invasion. This is the topic of a first campaign in this world, but my computer crashed, and, well, I'm too lazy to redo it. The key points are that the PCs discovered the remnants of a mercentile theocracy by the name of Travon and that there was some defecting to the Empire stuff going on. Travon had gone nuclear rather than submit to the Empire, killing thousands upon thousands of enemy soldiers and, apparently, teleporting a small number of their people to a rock in Limbo. Selflessly embracing Lichdom so that he can live long enough to see his people through this ongoing ordeal, the leader of the Travonians has devised brilliant schemes to keep New Travon alive so that Travon proper may one day live again.

Bolstered by a small force of Travonian Seekers, specialized soldiers from New Travon that shut down any and all magic and magical items with a touch, including any they wish to use, local lizardfolk, and a number of their own gnome artificers, Caschia defeated the Imperial expeditionary force, sending a ripple through all of the Empire. Several factions long unhappy with imperial rule begin to defect, all of them cooperating with Caschia, the little nation that could.

Of course, all of this sends call for Obsidian Hall work through the roof, and it's far more than the current population of operatives can handle.

That's where you come in.
greenskins4ever

Postby greenskins4ever » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:16 am

Also, here are a couple of examples of the custom magic items. They're all rings in this campaign, as I built them in as a feature rather than as something I came up with a quarter of the way into development this time around.

The way they work is you get one point per level to apply to any skill you're eligible for. Once you hit level 5, 10, 15, and 20, a new skill unlocks. Basically, all they do is enhance skills until level 5. Then they get cool. I've been toying with the idea of having two level 5 abilities so that the item isn't linear all the way to level 10. Let me know what you think :)

Barbarian

Level 1: ATHLETICS! _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
For each rank in this ability, the wearer gains +1 to jump, climb, and swim checks. This is an enhancement bonus.
Level 5: BRAWLING! _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
The wearer gains the ability to summon a mob of relatives (barbarians) once a week. For each rank in this ability beyond the first, roll on the chart below and apply the modifier shown. If a 14-20 is rolled and max level is already met, simply add an additional barbarian to the summoning.
Roll 1d20
1-7: +1 barbarian
8-13: +2 rounds duration
14-18: +1 level of barbarians (max level 6)
19-20: +1 barbarian, +1 level of barbarians (max level 6)
Base summoning stats:
1d3 barbarians _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
level 1 _ _ _ _ _
duration of 3 rounds _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Level 10: …It’s a greeting! _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
For each rank in this ability, the wearer does an additional point of melee damage to any foe who is caught flat-footed.
Level 15: FOOTBALL! _ _ _ _ _
For each rank in this ability, the bearer does an additional point of damage when charging.
Level 20: Super Professional Advanced Amateur Arm Wrestler _
The wearer gains 4 fighter bonus feats, chosen and listed below.

--------

Druid

Level 1: The Great Outdoors _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
For each rank in this ability, the wearer gains +1 to survival, knowledge (nature), and listen checks. This is an enhancement bonus.
Level 5: The Fury of the Furry _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _
This ability enhances the statistics of any animal the wearer turns into. Whenever a rank is invested in this ability, roll on the chart below and add that modifier to all wild shape animals.
Roll 1d10
1-2: +5 movement speed (including swim, fly, burrow, etc.) _ _ _ _ _
3-4: +1 dodge AC _ _ _ _ _
5-6: +1 Str _ _ _ _ _
7-8: +1 Dex _ _ _ _ _
9-10: +1 Con _ _ _ _ _
Level 10: Snakes on a Plane (of Existence) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Once a rank has been invested in this ability, the wearer may have a small viper as a second animal companion. The wearer’s druid level for the determination of any bonus hit dice and abilities for this second animal is considered to be equal to the number of ranks invested in this ability.
Level 15: Natural Selection _ _ _ _ _
For each rank in this ability, all spells castable only by druids gain +1 caster level when cast by the wearer.
Level 20: Motha****ing Snakes on this Motha****ing Plane! _
All snake animal companions gain +5 to hit and +5 to damage. Whenever the wearer’s form is serpentine in nature, this benefit is also conferred upon the wearer. This is an enhancement bonus.

-----

Cleric of Carellian La... the elf god, who wanted plate armor that dropped, but the barbarian wanted it. I made this to resolve it in the funniest possible way.

Level 1: Float Like a Butterfly, Book Like a Worm _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _
For each rank in this ability, the wearer gains +1 to Knowledge (religion) checks and a +1 bonus to initiative checks. The Knowledge (religion) bonus is an enhancement bonus, while the initiative bonus does not stack with the improved initiative feat.
Level 5: Form of the Turtle _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
The first rank in this ability allows the wearer to retract his head and limbs into his armor, protecting him from harm. While in such a state, the wearer’s Dex is set to 0, is immobile, automatically fails all reflex saves, and cannot see. The upshot, however, is that the wearer gains resistance 3 to fire, cold, acid, electricity, and sonic damage that stacks with other forms of resistance, 100% fortification, and DR 3/- that stacks with adamantine armor. This state can only be held for a maximum of 1 minute, else the wearer begins to suffocate. The second rank in this ability confers awareness of that which goes on around the wearer, at least to some extent. Anything within 30 feet of the wearer will have its position known, as well as friend or foe status. Furthermore, the wearer can cast touch range spells upon entities that touch the turtle, whether this is a prepared spell against a foe that swung at the turtle or perhaps healing an ally who holds his hand on the turtle. The third rank in this ability allows the wearer to “clip” a wand into his armor. This wand can then be activated as a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, but only while “turtled”. This wand takes 1 minute to remove or 1 minute to clip in. The fourth rank in this ability gives the turtle form a 10 ft move speed, essentially making it a tank.
Rather than follow the rank progression shown above, any rank beyond the first put into this ability may simply add +1 to the DR/- and resistance conferred by the Form of the Turtle. A maximum of five ranks can be invested in this secondary benefit. Simply put, the four above abilities pop up in sequential order, but the wearer can take a break in the progression to increase defenses.
Switching to and from turtling is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity. This ability can only be used if the wearer is using full plate.
Ability to Turtle (0 dex, 0 movement, fail reflex, resist 3, 100% fortification, DR 3/-, 1 minute duration) _
Ability to Sense and Cast (30 ft. radius “sight”, cast touch spells on things that touches you) _
Ability to Use a Wand (1 min slot in or remove, std action to use) _
Ability to Move (10 ft.; logically, you can move and touch things now) _
+1 DR/- and +1 resistances _ _ _ _ _
Level 10: My God Can Beat Up Your God! _ _ _ _ _ _ _
For each rank in this ability, the bearer gains +1 CL when casting a spell targeting a cleric of the opposite alignment.

Level 15: Live By the Sword… _ _ _ _ _
The wearer gains the ability to cast an inflict wounds spell as a swift action immediately following a successful hit with your deity’s favored weapon. You must have this spell memorized unless you can spontaneously cast inflict spells. The highest level inflict spell you can cast in this way is equal to the number of ranks in this ability minus one.
Level 20: Live a Good, Long Time! _
The wearer gains the War domain granted ability, as well as all War domain spells, as bonuses. If the War domain was one of the two domains the wearer has been using, the wearer must nominate a third domain used by his god. Select between this new domain and the wearer’s old non-War domain for domain ability and domain spells as normal.
greenskins4ever

Postby greenskins4ever » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:20 am

Tiefling Hexblade/Myrmidon

Level 1: "Sneaky, Sneaky"
The bearer of the ring gets a +1 enhancement bonus to Hide, Move Silently, and Bluff for each rank invested in this ability.

Level 5: "Attacking with the Darkness"
Creatures that breathe caught in the bearer's Darkness racial ability must make a DC 14 fortitude save or take 2d4 strength damage for each round that creature is in the area of the Darkness spell. The save DC increases by 1 for each rank invested in this ability. Every third rank increases the save DC by 2 instead.

Level 10: "Smiting the Smiters"
Once per day per rank, the bearer may declare a sudden strike to be a smite, adding his dexterity bonus to both attack and damage if the target is good.

Level 15: "Surprise!"
The bearer of the ring deals an additional 1d3 damage when using sudden strikes for each rank invested in this ability.

Level 20: "The Beast Within"
Once per day, the bearer may draw from his fiendish lineage as a free action, granting a +4 profane bonus to all ability scores for a number of rounds equal to a Will save.

Whee. Triple post. So sue me.
greenskins4ever

Postby Shegger » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:48 am

Those magic items are sick. As for the time and place, quarterstaff games is a great place to meet. Everyone knows where it is and they have a good area to play. As for the time anytime is good for me. What about you guys?
Shegger

Postby Thayd » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:35 pm

Hey this sounds really cool! Are we still looking at a 4.0 based game, with just the custom magic items as an adjustment? Because I'm not all the familiar with 3.5, so a 4.0 based campaign would really be easier.

Let me know whats up, cus I'd love to be a part of it so long as its 4.0, and can fill whatever role needs filling :) The back-story is great, I'm already brainstorming character concepts :D
Thayd

Postby Thayd » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:31 am

OH, I should add that I have a friend new to D&D altogether so if you're seriously lacking membership, there could eb two of us.
Thayd

Postby Shegger » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:39 pm

I'm down to do a 4.0. I've played both 3.5 and 4.0 and prefer 3.5 but I still certainly enjoy 4.0 quite a lot. What bout you Brad? You mind 4.0? Although if you've written a bunch for the campaign its probably a huge pain in the [donkey] to change it right? What about you Thayd. You mind playing 3.5? It's pretty much the same as 4.0 Just fighters get feats instead of powers and there are no at will powers. Combat and stats wise though it's all very very similar. When i got 4.0 I didn't even really change the game much at all.
Shegger

Postby Thayd » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:01 pm

Wellllllll....
I emailed Brad and he's actually leaving...so we're out a DM now....
Now, as for the version, provided we can get a different DM, I'm not dead set against 3.5, its just that I'm only home for another month before I go off to college again, so its simply easier to go with what I already know, plus I already have a character worked out that I'm not sure would be as good in 3.5, but thats a debatable point of course.
On the topic of a new DM, and if we play 4.0, I have LOADS of published adventure material from Wizards' online magazine, so we could play that if we can find a DM who will do the job but doesn't have time to make his/her own stuff.
Thayd

Postby Shegger » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:37 pm

Ya i only one month and a little before i have to leave back to school as well. So let's just do 4.0. I just really want to game.
Shegger

Postby Thayd » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:43 pm

Yeah sounds like a plan. Now the question is who can we get to DM? Between you, your friend (assuming theres still interest) and me with my friend, we have 4 players so we at least have the minimum. (Idk if the other guy who responded is still even paying attention to this)
Thayd

Postby GremlinPatch » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:19 pm

Hey, I have been running/playing D&D for 14 years now and I would totally be interested in your group! If you need another player give me a shout!
GremlinPatch

Return to Role Playing Games