(opens in a new window)

802-863-3666

qstaffvt@gmail.com

Pathfinder verses Fourth Edition

Discuss all RPG's here!

Moderator: Watchers in the Dark

Pathfinder verses Fourth Edition

Postby Samhain » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:20 pm

so recently I've been looking at all the different reviews about pathfinder and fourth edition d&d. I am really looking for an old school original d&d experience and from what I've seen so far alot of the reviews lean toward pathfinder as a true experience and fourth edition as a world of warcraft on a game board. ( instant gratification and less use of imagination) I actually own the first edition of dnd unfortunately I never got a chance to play with anyone. I really want to hear everyone's thoughts about which is the better system. is pathfinder the way to go or fourth edition?
Samhain

Re: Pathfinder verses Fourth Edition

Postby JuanPablo » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:02 pm

Well Pathfinder is certainly more similar to 1st ed than 4th is. PF is the result of a relatively cohesive evolution from 1st whereas they really made quite a break with 4th.
JuanPablo

Postby Dizzy1 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:55 pm

I would be interested in an old school D&D. I've been reading thru the OSRIC rules, an OGL re-writing of the original or 2nd edition AD&D. You can download them for free on-line or get a printed copy too.
Dizzy1

Postby Sanctum1972 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:33 pm

Samhain,

PF is close to D&D 3.5 but evolved. In other words, it is originated from D&D 3.5 as a supportive OGL setting by Paizo Publishing, and deviated to become version 3.6 after Wizards of the Coast dropped support for that environment. D&D 3.5, however, went on to become 4.0, which became more of a throwback to 1st Edition. I own 2nd Ed AD&D, Mouse Guard, Pathfinder and Robotech (Palladium). I played D&D 3.5 a bit and some of Pathfinder last year with a small group which was an interesting experience. I used to have D&D 3.0 but sold the books, although I still have a black and white PDF copy of D&D 3.5.

Years ago, when I was living in Cleveland (Ohio), 2nd Ed D&D was the only thing I ran and to me, I consider it a 'classic'. Lately, I have been extremely tempted to buy the new Red Box 4th Ed D&D because I have the original 'red box' manuals from the 80s, and was so curious about the differences. It's also a nice primer for beginners who have never played RPGs before. Right now, it's difficult for me to game these days since I'm in Middlebury and used to live in Burlington a few years back.

Dizzy, yes, the only way to get the 'old school' classic D&D is by downloading PDFs online from the archives.
Sanctum1972

Return to Role Playing Games