(opens in a new window)

802-863-3666

qstaffvt@gmail.com

Z-Man Demo Oct 20: Endeavor

Forum of all board games

Moderator: Watchers in the Dark

Z-Man Demo Oct 20: Endeavor

Postby SheepBoy » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:12 am

On October 20th, I will be demoing Endeavor.

"It is a time when the maps of the world are still being filled in. Seagoing empires expand their frontiers by sending ships to the farthest reaches of the globe in search of new lands, new alliances, and new conquests. The wealth of the newly-discovered worlds abroad is a tempting prize for those with the strength and the cunning to seize it... and to hold it!

You represent a growing empire engaged in a glorious endeavor to expand your influence and status at home and across the great oceans of the world. Through exploration and shipping, colonization and war, you will struggle with the other great powers to control the resources and the regions that unfold before you. You must strike a balance between cultural, political, industrial and financial gains, making all of the right decisions to ensure your empire’s eventual dominance. The paths you take, the battles you wage, and the choices you make will determine the ultimate shape of the new world... "

I played this recently and I am eager to play it again. The mechanic is that you start each turn selecting a building to build, pay off workers from the previous turn (otherwise you don't get to use them or the building they are currently sitting on). Then you add additional people (reflecting population growth and attracting people to your people since you are just way cooler than any other empire) to the paid off workers. You then use them to do various actions (hmmm... this is eerily familiar...) such as:
-Going sailing and picking up little bonus tokens while at the same time getting a foot in the door in a new region in order to open it up.take over unclaimed territory.
-Taking over unclaimed territory.
-Conquering non-so-unclaimed territory (and additional person is used to do this that is then discarded).
-Drawing cards.
The objective of the game is to acquire Glory. Glory is acquired from controlling territory, developing your economy, and acquiring cards that grant glory.

Follow the link to a review and more in depth rule description:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/433760

Here is the ZMan page for pretty pictures:
http://www.zmangames.com/boardgames/endeavor.htm

If this game looks interesting, please post so I can reserve you a spot and also help to get this game running quickly.

Wool for the Wool God!!!!
SheepBoy

Re: Z-Man Demo Oct 20: Endeavor

Postby EmperorsWrath » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:58 am

The calendar has been updated with this demo event, thanks Brennan!
EmperorsWrath
EmperorsWrath
Site Admin

Postby SheepBoy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:33 pm

*Breaking News*

After talking with EmperorsWrath, Quarterstaff will be offering a 10% discount on a game when it is 'officially' demo'ed. Details regarding how long the discount for a game will last after the demo remain to be worked out.

Endeavor will be the first game where this special will be offered, but hopefully if feedback is good, it will be continued far into the future.

And as an aside, if you really enjoy having the game space there, let the staff and management know that. Perhaps even think about giving Quarterstaff 'some love'.

Okay, I will stop now as I feel like I am sounding like a Public Radio pledge drive only without any coffee mugs...

SheepBoy

Postby DrFaust » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:50 am

SheepBoy wrote:Okay, I will stop now as I feel like I am sounding like a Public Radio pledge drive only without any coffee mugs...

Quarterstaff coffee mugs? I think you hit on the next hot commodity.
Held Action, a blog about tabletop gaming and Vermont.

Carnagecast, Vermont's tabletop gaming podcast.
DrFaust

Postby EmperorsWrath » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:01 am

Ask and ye shall receive (or "Pay money and ye shall get one"):

Quarterstaff Large Mug
EmperorsWrath
EmperorsWrath
Site Admin

Postby SheepBoy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:33 pm

Or get the Stein for Serious Quaffing Action(tm)!
http://mugs.cafepress.com/item/quarters ... /339182558

*Serious Quaffing Action is a trademark of Quarterstaff Beverage Containers Inc. The use of Serious Quaffing Action or the acronym SQA are protected by legions of berserker lawyer dwarfs.

SheepBoy

Return to Board Games