(opens in a new window)

802-863-3666

qstaffvt@gmail.com

Gideon Jura

A forum for all collectible card games and related subjects

Moderator: Watchers in the Dark

Gideon Jura

Postby Elven Planeswalker » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:40 pm

Well, I've been looking at the new planeswalkers in Rise of the Eldrazi, and I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed/confused about Gideon Jura.

The Battle of Fort Keff

Exactly how would someone utilize his abilities?

First Ability:
I don't know about you, but in most games I've played, my opponent attacking my Planeswalker instead of me is a BAD thing. My Planeswalker leaves, and I'm no better off than when I started. Yes, there are situations where forcing your opponent to attack is a good thing (like if you have a lot of strong blockers) but for the most part, I don't like it.
I guess what bugs me most about this ability is that it is the only way to add Loyalty Counters.

Conclusion: Gideon Jura's first ability could be used to your advantage, but if you want to get the +2 Loyalty Counters, you better be prepared.

Second Ability:

A Vengence for -2. It can be used in conjunction with Gideon Jura's first ability, (if he survives the initial assault), but for -2 Loyalty counters when it is that hard to gain them with the first ability, I'm not sure if I like it.

Conclusion: Great, but too expensive.

Third ability:
This one is nice. turns him into a 6/6 creature who can't be hurt. I've been wanting a planeswalker who can run up and hit my opponent in the face. But it's for +0 Loyalty counters! If only it was +1, I would be a lot happier with this card.

Conclusion: Really Cool, but I still want to add Loyalty Counters!

Final Conclusion: He's nice, BUT I HATE HOW I CAN'T ADD LOYALTY COUNTERS EASILY!
If abilities one and three were combined somehow, I would LOVE this card. But it's not, so I don't like it so much.

What do you think about Gideon Jura?

Is he really not that great? Is there something that I'm missing?
"Just look for the fat, naked Asian guy running in the background screaming woopwoopwoopwoopwoopwoopwoop!!!"
-Munchoboy
Elven Planeswalker

Re: Gideon Jura

Postby vtphoenix » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:27 pm

1) Whether or not you use the +2 ability, your opponent can choose to attack your planeswalker with all their creatures anyway. This takes the choice out of their hands and forces them to do it.

2) This effect acts as a sort of pseudo-fog as they can't split their force and attack both of you.

3) They can't make just intelligent attacks, they also have to send guys that would die in combat or they might want to hold back to block.

4) You're not building up to an ultimate like with other planeswalkers. You don't NEED + counters to use any of this guy's abilities. Maybe you'll "merely" be able to kill a couple of guys or trade with a guy and removal (similar to Chandra).

5) It's +0 abilitiy is pretty good too as it gives you a card you can convert into a kill condition later on.

I see this card as being something that would likely go into a U/W control deck or G/W deck and for the $ it seems a bit narrow but I'm quite sure that it is good and will find its way into several deck types.
vtphoenix

Postby vtphoenix » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:29 pm

it's also a "creature" that survives wrath effects (yours and your opponents)
vtphoenix

Postby Chaliceguardian » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:29 am

is it better than Elspeth though? I feel it is not.

still good - I mean, it beats.. but yeah.
watashi ni dekiru koto
hito tsuzutsu kanaetai
yume ni mukatte ippozutsu arukou
watashi ni dekiru koto
anata ni mo tsutaetai
akira menaide tsubasa hirogete
saa tobouyo ashiita no tameni
Chaliceguardian

Return to Collectible Card Games