(opens in a new window)

802-863-3666

qstaffvt@gmail.com

Magic Made Easy

A forum for all collectible card games and related subjects

Moderator: Watchers in the Dark

Magic Made Easy

Postby Blessed Cool » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:16 pm

First off, a hearty hello to all who visit this forum. My goal with this thread is the dissemination of useful information for all MTG events in the area. To that end, I have compiled a list of useful links:

-The actual MTG website- http://Magicthegathering.com

-The Banned/Restricted List- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=judge/resources/banned

-Gatherer, the Oracle card reference- http://ww2.wizards.com/gatherer/

-The DCI Document Center, good for rules and whatnot- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dci/doccenter/home

If anyone has additional links they think should be posted here, feel free to PM me with them.

Additionally, here are the sets currently legal in Type 2 play:

Innistrad
New Phyrexia
Mirrodin Besieged
Scars of Mirrodin
Last edited by Blessed Cool on Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
♦Sam♦
---------------------------
"Hehe: Tier 1: Fix Scourge of Heresy."
Blessed Cool

Postby TheCramp » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:43 pm

Hello all, Owen here. 1st post, for what that is worth. Here are some other texts worth reading:

http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/3744.html

If your really inclined to improve at this game, some of those texts are helpful. I find myself thinking of many of these concepts when I am crushing QS's helpful staff in the savage one sided beatings which constitute our games. (I'm looking at you Sam and Nick...)
TheCramp

Postby pszito » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:27 pm

and the wizards challenge begins! Name the dimension, deck size, and ante, i'll be there! Oh wait, that's old skewl...

I would definately look forward to playing you again, my man. Let me know if you're ever in town and looking to kill an hour.
ImageImageImage
in vino veritas
~<{ Nick }>~
pszito

Postby Munchoboy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:46 pm

Here's a question for uour Magic Judges and TO's;

Are proxies considered legal for any format of Magic tournaments?

Let's say a person had a valuable card, but did not wish to risk damaging it, could they proxy it in their tourney deck?

Thanks in advance!

-J
"In fearful day, in raging night,
With strong hearts full, our souls ignite,
When all seems lost in the War of Light,
Look to the stars-- For hope burns bright!"
Munchoboy

Postby el_timbo » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:15 pm

Munchoboy wrote:Here's a question for uour Magic Judges and TO's;

Are proxies considered legal for any format of Magic tournaments?

Let's say a person had a valuable card, but did not wish to risk damaging it, could they proxy it in their tourney deck?

Thanks in advance!

-J

I can cover this one:

In any Sanctioned Magic event, regardless of format, proxies are NOT allowed.

That's right, if you're gonna play your Lotus, you gotta PLAY your Lotus, lol.

However, a rising trend in the game is having unsanctioned Type 1 events, that while following all the other rules, also allow a set number of proxies... Usually 5 or 10. This allows players who don't want to play the cards a chance to still use them, and also allows a player who doesn't have those cards a chance to field them as well, in a sense.

Back when I was the TO for the store, I had batted around doing one of these, but Wizkids sucked me in before I could give it any real thought :lol:

Hope that answers your question, J!
"...and that's an infection I look forward to having."
-Kurt
el_timbo

Postby Elven Planeswalker » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:34 am

Well, I learned that the following formats are also refered as:

Vintage = Type 1
Legacy = Type 1.5
Standard = Type 2
"Just look for the fat, naked Asian guy running in the background screaming woopwoopwoopwoopwoopwoopwoop!!!"
-Munchoboy
Elven Planeswalker

Postby Elven Planeswalker » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:56 am

Hey, I got another question - where do you "draw the line" on cards in horrible condition?

Scenerio 1: I have an old Walking Wall that my friend wants for his wall deck - but it's in horrible condition. About half of the text box has... well, not torn off, but the face-up layer of paper has been almost completely removed (you can see the blue layer through the thin white layer remaining). My friend is planning to print off the card text from oracle and tape it onto the torn area. Would this be legal? With card sleeves? Without card sleeves?

Scenerio 2: A card has been torn in half. If one were to tape it together, could (s)he use it? How about a card where the corner was torn off and cannot be reattached? With or without sleeves?

Scenerio 3: A card has been written on.

Scenerio 4: Someone wants to tape a different artwork onto a card. Without covering any text? With covering text? sleeves or no sleeves?
Or (s)he could print out the desired artwork on lable paper...

Scenerio 5: A card's natural "position" is very different from the resat of the deck so that there is a "gap" in the deck where it is.

Scenerio 6: This one I think I know the answer to - if a card has been damaged to the point where the back of the card has been "marked" it must be run in sleeves. This would include visible creases.

Scenerio 7: Anything else you can think of?

-Thanks!
"Just look for the fat, naked Asian guy running in the background screaming woopwoopwoopwoopwoopwoopwoop!!!"
-Munchoboy
Elven Planeswalker

Re:

Postby thecynicalsaint » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:05 pm

Elven Planeswalker wrote:Hey, I got another question - where do you "draw the line" on cards in horrible condition?

Scenerio 1: I have an old Walking Wall that my friend wants for his wall deck - but it's in horrible condition. About half of the text box has... well, not torn off, but the face-up layer of paper has been almost completely removed (you can see the blue layer through the thin white layer remaining). My friend is planning to print off the card text from oracle and tape it onto the torn area. Would this be legal? With card sleeves? Without card sleeves?

Scenerio 2: A card has been torn in half. If one were to tape it together, could (s)he use it? How about a card where the corner was torn off and cannot be reattached? With or without sleeves?

Scenerio 4: Someone wants to tape a different artwork onto a card. Without covering any text? With covering text? sleeves or no sleeves?

Scenerio 5: A card's natural "position" is very different from the resat of the deck so that there is a "gap" in the deck where it is.

Scenerio 6: This one I think I know the answer to - if a card has been damaged to the point where the back of the card has been "marked" it must be run in sleeves. This would include visible creases.

-Thanks!

Yeah, pretty much all of those will fetch you a dull hey penny an a good day. Collectors look for everything from knicked edges to scratches on the back if its been played without sleeves once and there was a bit of dirt on the table, Well that will scratch the back bringing down the price.
Cards in the common place are typically generalized between Mint, Mediocre, fair, and poor conditions. However when we are talking big money black lotus dollar dollar bills ya'll they usually send it to TOP which specializes in grading trading cards.
thecynicalsaint

Re: Re:

Postby Elven Planeswalker » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:13 pm

thecynicalsaint wrote:
Elven Planeswalker wrote:Hey, I got another question - where do you "draw the line" on cards in horrible condition?

-Thanks!

Yeah, pretty much all of those will fetch you a dull hey penny an a good day. Collectors look for everything from knicked edges to scratches on the back if its been played without sleeves once and there was a bit of dirt on the table, Well that will scratch the back bringing down the price.
Cards in the common place are typically generalized between Mint, Mediocre, fair, and poor conditions. However when we are talking big money black lotus dollar dollar bills ya'll they usually send it to TOP which specializes in grading trading cards.

Yes, when it comes to collectors, they look at the condition of the card. What I'm wondering is what would a judge say if someone tried to play it in a tournament?
-Munchoboy
Elven Planeswalker

Re: Magic Made Easy

Postby StormGryffen » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:28 am

I'm new to the tournament culture -- I know what is accepted as playable and unplayable only by studying the hefty rulebook on the subject, so I may be wrong about what people are comfortable with.

According to DCI rules, there can be no way to determine what card is where in your deck. So if a card has noticeable grooves, it's out. You can play any official Magic card that was published by Wizards and has the same English name as a card legal to tournament rules (meaning older editions of a card now legal are still allowed), so long as nothing about that card is intentionally designed to mislead your opponent. So long as the card can be identified, and is readable, it should be accepted -- however, I imagine in the case of pasted-on-oracle text, no one's mandated to trust that your text is genuine and precise, and similarly, different art might be construed as misleading to a card's identity.

If your cards aren't misleading or discernible in difference to your other cards when sitting in the deck, they are legal. In most cases, damaged cards can still be made legal if they aren't misleading or discernible when inside legal sleeves with opaque backs -- In strict tournament play, these sleeves cannot be adorned with holograms, front or back, cannot be amazingly reflective, and must have the same solid color on all opaque borders. In not-so-serious official gatherings, like Friday Night Magic, sleeves may have a hologram on front, and the glossiness of the sleeves isn't seriously regulated.

Sleeves, like cards, can be requested for inspection by your opponent. You have to replace sleeves that possess identifying damage. Similarly, cards that can be identified out of deck, when you are playing without sleeves, can be inspected for adherence to the rules. If any of your cards are either discernible from the others while sitting in the deck, or can be defined as misleading, they are not legal.
StormGryffen

Return to Collectible Card Games